Welcome!

Thanks for checking me out! This is a work in progress so far, but before too long I will be up and running smoothly. Check back for book and movie reviews, challenges, and much more! Feedback welcome :)

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Guilty Pleasures #3


Guilty Pleasures is one of my most favorite weekly memes ever, hosted by CJ Duggan. I look forward to this every single week, so let's get at it!!!



This week I will let you all in on something that drives my hubby nuts and irritates my kids to no end. I love to bake. Don't ask me why, but I really enjoy it. Cookies, pies, muffins, cakes...the whole nine. The issue with that...over half the mix never sees the oven. I am the worst for eating batter and dough!! Some people don't get it, but it is soooo good. What is better than some perfectly made chocolate chip cookies? The uncooked dough that is needed to make it, that's what!! My poor children. I am constantly telling them we can make cookies (which I don't even like, by the way). We get all the ingredients together and then it's time to drop them on the pan and put 'em in the oven. I always prepare enough for at least 2 dozen...but in the 10 minutes it takes for the cookies to cook, the dough starts looking pretty tempting...and I have to explain to my kids why their 24 cookies magically turned into 12. Ooops. I made them bigger this time kids, I swear.

If it was only cookie dough, I wouldn't say that it's strange, but this is me...and let's face it, I can't really half ass anything, so bring on the cake batter and muffin mix! When you were a kid, and your mother was baking a cake, do you remember asking her if you could lick the beaters? I always asked, but since apparently eating raw batter isn't good for you (blah, blah,blah...yada, yada, yada)...I wasn't allowed (sad face). What a buzz-kill. So now as an adult...to hell with the beaters...give me a spoon and let me have at it!!

Muffin mix is a little weird, I can't deny that...and have you ever eated pie dough? There really isn't anything really good about it, but I just can't help it. It's a sickness...I shouldn't be allowed to bake. The worst part of all of this is...I HATE baked goods. Even as a kid, I wouldn't eat cake. I don't care for cookies, and muffins are just icky. Something has to be seriously wrong with me, but that's me! I can't just be "normal".

Does the madness stop there? Yeah, right...have you completely forgotten whose blog you're reading? One of my biggest downfalls (and I actually haven't been caught doing this just yet...) is peanut butter. Not on bread or rolls...that would be too normal...I'm talking right out of the jar (I'm the only person in my house that eats the stuff, so in my mind that makes it ok). Give me a jar of smooth...not crunchy, that stuff is gross...and a spoon and I am all set! This also works with icing. I mean, hey, if I'm going to go nuts on the cake batter I might as well take some icing out of the jar to go with it, right? I remember being a teenager (yes, this started that early) and having a bad break up or fight with my parents...most girls would head for the freezer to grab a pint of Rocky Road...not me. A little tub of vanilla cream cheese icing was more than enough to drown my sorrows in. It just kinda stuck. Of course I can't sit with the WHOLE tub of it...way too much sugar, but several heaping spoonfuls is just the perfect amount!!

So there you have it. My deep, dark, kinda sad but incredibly yummy secret. Just one of my many quirks I guess. Thinking on it now, I'm shocked I don't weigh a ton...oh well...hmmmm think I might go make the kiddies some cookies :D

4 comments:

  1. Ha! that's awesome. I love this line..."So now as an adult...to hell with the beaters...give me a spoon and let me have at it!!"
    I rarely ever bake. I am a horrible mom in that respect. I can manage a killer banana bread but that came about because I hate throwing away soft bananas. I am the type of mom that buys from M&M for bake sales for my kids school. Yeah I suck.
    My mom is a great cook and a great baker so I dont know why I dislike it so badly.

    Great post! MichelleKCanada
    http://anotherlookbookreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I hate cooking. I blame my learning to bake on my high school home ec teacher. I was a HORRIBLE student. This one time, she got the class to make cookies and part of the assignment was the taste test. Well, my partner and I thought "the more ingredients we have...the better the cookies will be". We thought we were so smart so we ran all over the classroom stealing other people's stuff and adding it to our own. We were the ONLY ones in the class who failed based on the fact that the teacher refused to try our cookies. How wrong is that?? Any...after that I swore that I would master baking if it killed me. Cooking on the other hand...I would rather get a tooth pulled.

    Thanks for stopping by. I commented on yours too. Loved it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH...MY....GOD! Bahahahaha....THIS! in itself is totally the reason why I started Guilty Pleasures " I just can't help it. It's a sickness...I shouldn't be allowed to bake." Sorry but I just can't stop laughing! The weirder the better, what does that say about me?? I LOVE it!

    Here's mine http://can-duu.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you... I have the same guilty pleasure for baking... every week I make at least a batch of snickerdoodles, and last night I even made doughnut muffins. I know so bad, but I can't help myself either... though I reckon it's a fun pleasure to have:)

    here's mine: http://tfwalsh.wordpress.com/2011/06/22/guilty-pleasure-book-obsessions/

    ReplyDelete