Welcome!

Thanks for checking me out! This is a work in progress so far, but before too long I will be up and running smoothly. Check back for book and movie reviews, challenges, and much more! Feedback welcome :)

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Theatrical Thursday

I don't know about you, but I love movies. Just about any kind of movie. Like books, movies bring us to a whole new world...on the big screen! You laugh, you cry, you swoon over the extra hot men that pop up as sexy villians you love to hate and the romantic heros that steal your heart. So let's take a peek at the very first Theatrical Thursday movie pick:


Water For Elephants



Lead Roles: Robert Pattinson as Jacob
Reese Witherspoon as Marlena
Release: April 22, 2011
Genre: Drama
Running Time: 2hr 0min
Director: Francis Lawrence
Studio: Twentieth Century Fox
Screenplay: Sara Gruen, Richard LaGravenese
Rating: PG for Mature Themes and Violence
Average Reviews: 4/5 ****


Based on the novel Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen, this is the story of Jacob. Set during the time of the Great Depression, Jacob is a veterinary student who suffers the tragic loss of his parents. If losing them is not enough, he discovers that he is now penniless and homeless. Hitting rock bottom, Jacob decides to run away from his problems and he jumps onto the nearest train that goes by. As fate would have it, that particular train just happens to be a travelling circus.

Jacob uses his know-how with animals to stay on with the circus as a vet. Through this, he meets the beautiful Marlena. Naturally, the attraction is instant and (of course) she is married...to the man that took Jacob in and made him more than just a working-class circus man.


Now, I read the novel recently and I absolutely loved it. There was romance, action, and elephants. What more could you ask for? This is not the kind of story that will appeal to everyone. I wouldn't have even picked it up if it was recommended to me by a friend. So as far as the book itself goes...give it a shot. You will  either love it or hate it. I don't think there is really an in-between,

As far as the movie goes...I have not had the pleasure of seeing it yet, but I can't wait! I am not a fan of Robert Pattinson (sorry Twi-Hards, my vampires don't sparkle and it ruined him for me) but I actually don't mind that he was chosen for this part. He sort of fits it, in my mind and I absolutely LOVE Reese Witherspoon. There is no doubt in my mind that this will be a great movie. Make it a date night and drag your hubby, grab your girls and have a dinner and a movie night, or just go by yourself and enjoy. I plan to :)

Don't forget to check back for next week's movie pick!!





No comments:

Post a Comment